Jakarta, The Indonesia Post – The Ministry of Foreign Affairs stated that no Indonesian citizens (WNI) were victims of the flash floods that hit New York, United States.
“The Indonesian Consulate General in New York has coordinated with local authorities and the Indonesian community. “Until now, no Indonesian citizens have become victims of the flash flood,” said the Director of Protection for Indonesian Citizens and BHI at the Ministry of Foreign Affairs, Judha Nugraha, via short message on Sunday.
Previously, the Indonesian Consulate General had also issued an appeal to the Indonesian people to be careful and always monitor information from local authorities.
If they face an emergency, said Judha, Indonesian citizens are asked to immediately contact 911 and the Indonesian Consulate General’s hotline in New York +1 347 806 9279.
Flash floods hit New York City and its surroundings on Friday (29/9). The disaster paralyzed most of the activities and activities of New York society because it had an impact on slowing down public transportation services such as subways and buses.
Flooding due to heavy rain also caused around 1,000 flight delays from John F Kennedy, La Guardia and Newark airports.
New York State Governor Kathy Hochul declared a state of emergency in response to heavy rain and flooding in New York City, the Hudson Valley, and Long Island. (mhn/bbs)